Welcome to the MACE® Level I Civilian Aerosol Defensive Spray Training. MACE® has partnered with U.S. LawShield to create this premiere training course. The goal of this class is to help you become a safe, knowledgeable user of personal protective sprays. You will learn about the purchase, possession, and proper usage of aerosol personal defensive sprays.
During this class, you will learn:
- What chemical irritants are in personal protective sprays.
- The science behind how these chemical irritants work on an attacker.
- The concept of situational awareness to help you with personal safety, how conflicts can escalate, and you will learn de-escalation techniques to downshift the conflict when possible.
- The types of personal protective sprays, including how to choose the right product for your personal safety needs, best practices for the care and handling of personal protective sprays.
- How to use aerosol sprays properly, including effective use of sprays in self-defense situations.
- The legal requirements you must consider for the purchase, possession, and defensive use of personal protective sprays.
Each student who enrolls in this course will also receive a free copy of the 30-page student guide, which includes in-depth explanations of the topics discussed in the training, as well as all 50 states’ pepper spray laws.
The course is taken entirely online and will take between 2-4 hours depending on the learner’s pace.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who Is This Course Designed For?
- Anyone who carries, or has the desire to carry, personal protective sprays like pepper spray. Many who attend this course either don’t feel comfortable carrying a firearm, or desire to carry pepper spray in locations where they are not legally permitted to carry a firearm. Even if you do carry a firearm, it is strongly recommended that you carry a less than lethal defensive tool for situations where deadly force may not be justified. In short, this course was designed for anyone who has an interest in self-defense.
What Is The Course Outline?
- Module 1:
- What are chemical irritants.
- The science behind chemical irritants
- Situational awareness
- Module 2:
- Effectively using chemical irritants in self-defense
- Legal considerations regarding the use of chemical irritants in self-defense
- Module 3:
- Certification exam
- Recap and resources
Are There Any Prerequisites?
- No. Anyone can enroll in this course. As most civilians have never received any formal pepper spray training, you’ll find the topics are both informative and engaging. Although there is no minimum age requirement to enroll in this course, be aware some states have minimum age requirements relating to the possession of pepper spray.